Fall pie baking time can go a lot smoother if you have the right tools for it. Norpro Red Apple Master without Clamp is one of the most popular varieties these days. Some of the features I like are:
- It suctions onto a counter rather than needing to be clamped;
- works for potatoes and pears;
- if you want to slice and core without peeling, there’s a metal piece to hold that blade away (nice for school lunches)
Norpro 9-Inch Stainless Steel pie Pan are seamless and as easy to clean as the cookie sheets in the same brand, which I also love.
If you have no lard, here’s a good pie crust recipe that uses butter:
PIE CRUST RECIPE
Makes enough dough for one double-, or two single-crust pies.
2 1/2 cups (315 grams) flour
1 tablespoon (15 grams) sugar
1 teaspoon (5 grams) table salt
2 sticks (8 ounces, 225 grams tablespoons or 1 cup) unsalted butter, very cold
Put a cup of water in a measuring cup and add a few ice cubes. Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cube the butter, and work it in with a chilled pastry blender until the consistency of small lumps of peas. Work half the water in with a spatula, and keep adding water until it gathers together, the less the better. Knead together slightly. Wrap dough in plastic for an hour or two before rolling out. It will absorb the last loose bits of flour that way. It will freeze, but takes a day or so to thaw out.
APPLE PIE RECIPE:
8 Granny Smith apples * 1/2 cup unsalted butter * 3 Tbsp flour * 1/4 cup water * 1/2 cup white sugar * 1/2 cup brown sugar
For a nine inch apple pie, preheat oven to 425. Melt half a cup of butter, add flour to make a rue. Add the water, white sugar and brown sugar and bring it to a boil; let simmer. Peel, core and slice apples and mound in pie tin. Pour melted butter and sugar mixture slowly over the apples. Cover with lattice crust. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350. Bake another 35 to 45 minutes until apples are soft.
Cookbooks you might be interested in:
(click for details)
- Apple Pie: 100 Delicious and Decidedly Different Recipes for America’s Favorite Pie
- 50 Delicious Apple Pie Recipes – Delicious Apple Pies To Make All Year Long (The Ultimate Apple Desserts Cookbook – The Delicious Apple Desserts and Apple Recipes Collection)
- Apple Desserts Value Pack I – 150 Recipes For Apple Pie, Apple Cake, Cookies, Muffins and More (The Ultimate Apple Desserts Cookbook – The Delicious Apple Desserts and Apple Recipes Collection)
Also see: Perfect Pies – Tips and Tools