You know its Fall when you start pulling out the slow cooker regularly again. Although sometimes we resent the space they take, there’s nothing like filling a slow cooker in the morning, heading off to a busy day, and coming home at the end of a long tiring day to a delicious home cooked meal. All you have to do is leave a bit of room around the slow cooker for heat escape, fill it, set it, and leave it to do its thing.
I have a couple of full sized slow cookers, in case I need more than one for large gatherings, and a small one which I use mainly for cheese dip at fondues. While I’m content to use a basic model, a programmable feature is great for those who work long days and want it to switch to warm when the cooking is done. A few little tips for use:
- the lids fit tightly, so go easy on the liquid as it won’t evaporate – barely cover food;
- for best results fill between half and three-quarters full;
- if you want to thicken the sauce at the end, raise it to high and add cornflour mixed to a paste with cold water, or easy dissolving flour, and simmer it for a while;
- you can set the cooking time back 20 minutes every time you lift the lid, so think of it like rice, no peeking;
- add dairy at the end of the cooking process.
In addition to main courses, soups and “one-pot” meals, slow cookers are also great for making side dishes and dessert, especially when your oven is going to be full.
|Slow Cooker||Programmable||Locking Lid for Travel||Warming Option||Stovetop Browning||Digital Display||Size||
|Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker||X||X||X||X||X||6-quart|
|Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver||X||X||X||X||6-quart||Probe|
|Hamilton Beach 33265 6-Quart Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker||X||X||X||6-quart||Insulated base and cool touch handles|
|Slow Cooker Revolution Bundle: Cooker, Casserole and Cookbook||X||X||6.5 quart||Casserole dish and cook book incl.|
|Crock Pot SCR450-PT 4-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker, Black Demask Pattern||4.5 quarts||Modern design with basic function|
Slow Cooker Recipes