If you want to modernize the look of your home, here are twelve great ways to start:
1. Get a sleek, low to the ground couch and accent chair in black, brown or white fabric or leather with chrome trim.
2. Declutter – modern is all about clean lines and neutral colors, so strive for a minimalist look by getting rid of those old knick knacks and excess pictures, maintaining minimal accessories.
3. Replace your old dated house numbers with jumbo numbers to update the outside of your home, and add a new motion-sensitive front light fixture while you’re at it.
4. Rearrange your kitchen to focus on plenty of work space and easy access. Often old houses have strange U or L shaped configurations that do more to disrupt movement than anything. Removing old peninsulas and replacing them with counter height islands with sleek engineered stone countertops can add style and function to an old kitchen.
5. Lever style faucets will update your kitchen and bathroom and increase efficiency with updated features.
6. Open up some spaces in your home, either by removing non load bearing walls between kitchen and living room, or by turning a three bedroom upstairs into a two bedroom layout with a large master bath and walk in closet.
7. Replace an unused bathtub with a walk in doorless or frameless glass shower for a modern update that will add a lot of function to your room.
8. Add a splash of modern color, like purple or chartreuse, to the various rooms in your home with a modern rug, lamp, chair, pillow or other accessories.
9. The way we light our rooms is taken into consideration with new modern light fixtures, so not only will the beautiful options in light fixtures available today in chrome, glass and crystal look great in your room – with bulbs lasting up to twenty years, the light they reflect will make your room look more beautiful too.
10. Oversized mirrors, whether replacing old small mirrors in the bathroom, or propping one in the living room or an entryway, bring modern style to our rooms.
11. Organic elements such as stone, bamboo, rattan, cotton, leather and sea grass bring nature into our homes and add a lot of modern style.
12. Fabrics with geometric shapes bring mid-century elegance in the form of pillows, throws, bedding or curtains.
My home is filled with modern touches paired with rustic and industrial style. Modern décor blends easily into most rooms, and adds a peaceful feel while often increasing efficiency in our homes. I would love to hear about an update you have done to a room that you feel made a huge impact.