When people began buying up old churches and renovating them into homes, the blend of rustic, vintage and farmhouse became symbolic of old school house decor. The slanted bead board ceilings, painted wood floors, rustic wood furniture and old industrial style lighting added a lot of charm to these homes and, much like New York loft style, it sparked an interest in bringing these elements into our homes. Things to look for:
- metal lockers/storage containers
- schoolhouse chairs
- vintage look large school clock
- old maps/globes
- old style pencil sharpener
- industrial farmhouse style table
- vintage industrial style “old school house” lighting
- bead board ceilings
- wide plank wood floors
- school lavatory style sinks
- trough sinks
This set of Carolina Cottage Berkshire chairs have a a modern rustic design with old schoolhouse seats and textured metal frames. They pair great with the industrial elements of the Austin rectangular dining table. This would bring a touch of elegance to any schoolhouse decor.
The Lipper child’s slanted top desk and chair, pictured here in walnut, is just like the old fashioned school desks, with indentations for pens and pencils. Solid and well crafted, the hardwood has a child-safe walnut finish with a recessed finger hold to protect precious fingers. A perfect art station for the wee ones!
This gorgeous room from House Beautiful shows a few elements of old schoolhouse style:
1. Old schoolhouse style pendant lights: a few 8-Inch Retro Style Schoolhouse Mini-Pendant Light in Chrome Finish would look lovely over an island in the kitchen;
2. A chalkboard in the kitchen makes a great message board for the family – I love the Chalkboard with Classic Schoolhouse style frame. Porcelain writing panel. Vintage Java Finish 24″x36″ from Amazon.com, but you can use peel and stick chalkboard sheets and frame them in for a similar look. Also see Stand-Out Wall Treatments and Easy Do-It-Yourself Backsplashes;
3. I love the big jumbo schoolhouse style clocks like the La Crosse Technology 404-1220 20 inch Extra Large Atomic Wall Clock. They’re not only beautiful, but easy to see from a distance.
This stunning Rohl RC4019WH 39-1/2-Inch by 18-1/2-Inch by 10-Inch Deep Shaws Rutherford Plain Apron Front Fireclay Kitchen Sink would look gorgeous in an old schoolhouse style kitchen. A bridge style such as the Kohler K-6131-4-2BZ Parq Double Handle Bridge Faucet with Sidespray, Oil Rubbed Bronze (2BZ) would pair beautifully with it.
In the bathroom, towels hung over the exposed piping below a sink evokes old schoolhouse style. The Toto LF930.4MCP#03 Lloyd Console Bathroom Vanity is a great pricing option, similar to the apothecary style sink pictured (from Pinterest). Throw in a set of large Sterling Home Glass Vintage Chinese Apothecary Jars and a Tag Seagrass Large 25-1/4-Inch Long Rectangular Shallow Basket and you’ve got the look.
While the new lockers may lack a bit of the charm of old schoolhouse wooden lockers that turn up at flea markets from time to time, they still add a lot of character to a mud room or a bedroom with little closet or storage space. Salsbury Industries 51368GY-U Extra Wide Standard Metal Locker Single Tier 3 Wide 6 Feet High 18-Inch Deep Gray Unassembled Gray add durability and quality to the vintage look. A cute alternative to a closet, and cheaper and easier to add.